12 Guitars of Christmas

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Despite being half deaf and having a banshee wailing away in my head 24/7 I can still pick a keeper guitar on sound alone and that '59 (I think) custom shop strat is just amazing. As much as I dislike fake wear (aka a heavy relic) I could live with it for that tone.

Unfortunately it's not for sale or it would already be mine, I have close family who live 5 minutes away from Andertons.

Fun video though :)

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
They'd probably appreciate selling it since it's electric if it's not a personal one of one of them. Seems like the electric market is dying and for the first time in ages the acoustic has surpassed them in sales.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Telecasters have a sound all their own. That's why I got 2 - 1 to bang around and learn with and the second to fondle when I get better. :p

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Telecasters have a sound all their own. That's why I got 2 - 1 to bang around and learn with and the second to fondle when I get better. :p
They certainly do have a unique sound which tends to pigeonhole them far more than they deserve. I also have two that I had specially built by Fender. I gave them a personalised specification which combined the very old (I used a 1951 Fender Nocaster as template) with some modern additions such as a compound radius neck and some over-wound, but still vintage pickups. The necks are similar to the original Nocaster 'U' shaped necks which are about as thick as it gets.

I had to order them through a UK Fender dealer who questioned my sanity. When they arrived some months later the dealer pulled one out of the case and immediately ordered 10 more to sell as a 'dealer special' so I think I got it right.

I'm comfortable playing with thick guitar necks because I have large hands but more importantly I like the stability. The guitars stay in tune, sustain forever and have an action that is ridiculously low with zero fret buzz. Here's one of them. This one's the spare so it doesn't get a lot of use and still looks rather shiny and new.

nocaster.jpg