About to get myself into trouble

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've got a Martin 000-18 being delivered later today that the lovely wife allowed me to get for an early Christmas present since I found it on sale.
She did comment that would be my "last" guitar of the year.... but I sure do have a strong hankering for one of the Epiphone ES-339 Pro's.
My problem is that I can't decide if I want it in cherry, natural, ebony or sunburst. I'm honestly leaning towards towards the cherry. Something about them red guitars just seem to "pop". My Strat and Les Paul already have a sunburst finish (tri-color on the Strat and desert sunburst on the LP) and I have a translucent cherry Fender Tele that I REALLY like the color of.
My other big issue is do I want to get the P-90 version of it or do I want to get the standard humbuckers on it.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Not really crazy about the LP hollow bodies. Want something more of the classical lines, but not in the ES-335 size.
Still can't decide if I want the P-90's or go with humbucker style pickups. Guess I need to listen to a few more videos.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Just ordered the Epiphone ES-339 Pro with the P90's in Pelham blue. Had a deal from where I purchased my Gibson LP Standard that gave me reward points that was equial to $276.... so I'm only paying $202 for the guitar that would normally be around $470. Even if I don't like it and don't ship it back, I can sell it at a profit at that rate. I only had about 20 days left before the reward points expired (had actually forgot about them).

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I hope the Pelham blue is more like some of the videos I've seen. It looks almost like it has metallic flake in it on several of the videos. The blue is kind of a unique color and not something that I would normally get, but I wanted something "different".

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 11.32.30 PM.png

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I hope the Pelham blue is more like some of the videos I've seen. It looks almost like it has metallic flake in it on several of the videos. The blue is kind of a unique color and not something that I would normally get, but I wanted something "different".

View attachment 48
One thing you may or may not want to be aware of is Pelham Blue goes green with age. This Gibson SG is typical of what to expect.

40358a0bc0c2f30d06c5a43d8e8c940f.jpg

I own one guitar in (daphne) blue which took a while to get used to. It certainly wouldn't have been my first choice of color but the guitar proved too good to pass up on so I bought it and I'm glad I did.

Fender.jpg

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
One thing you may or may not want to be aware of is Pelham Blue goes green with age. This Gibson SG is typical of what to expect.
I had read that on the older guitars the lacquer changed the color as it got older and they got green tints/colors. It's actually a sought after color by some. Since this guitar is only costing me $202 out of pocket it won't bother me if it turned green in a few years as it's going to be my "tag along" guitar if I like it.
Have to wonder if the newer finishes will have this issue or not though.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Have to wonder if the newer finishes will have this issue or not though.
That I don't know. It's usually the case that these things happen due to poor quality materials being used which is somewhat ironic because that's what caused those much sort after early Les Paul bursts to fade so much.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
That I don't know. It's usually the case that these things happen due to poor quality materials being used
Not sure if it is really "low quality"or not... but depending on the lacquer applied, I do know that many of them (the older nitrocellulose lacquers) start yellowing with age (that antique patina). If that happens, then combine yellow & blue and the green tint would be expected.
The newer lacquers typically applied to lower end guitars (like the Epis) have ingredients in them that either eliminate all or most of that yellowing effect, especially seeing that they are rarely nitrocellulose based.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Not sure if it is really "low quality"or not... but depending on the lacquer applied, I do know that many of them (the older nitrocellulose lacquers) start yellowing with age (that antique patina). If that happens, then combine yellow & blue and the green tint would be expected.
The newer lacquers typically applied to lower end guitars (like the Epis) have ingredients in them that either eliminate all or most of that yellowing effect, especially seeing that they are rarely nitrocellulose based.
That sums up what I was struggling to get across. Modern finishes are generally better quality so they tend to be more durable and less prone to fading. I just find it a little ironic that these finishes usually end up on lower priced guitars. Mind you there's something to be said for opening up a case containing a new top end guitar and getting a face full of nitro... :whistle:

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Tomorrow is the big day.... looking forward to trying it out.
Already have a family friend that would like to "borrow" my 000-18 permanently.
Mind you there's something to be said for opening up a case containing a new top end guitar and getting a face full of nitro
I had to get a special guitar stand for the nitro finished guitar I have (the Gibson LP). Sure as hell didn't want the other stand to mar the finish.

I'm not a real good player - yet, but I sure as heck like to collect these things.... but I'm honestly done for a bit on buying guitars - unless maybe it's another 339 Pro with humbuckers in the cherry red finish.