Chapman Guitars

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Anyone paying attention to this company? I'm a big fan of Rob Chapman's Youtube channel (and Andertons) and love watching him play with Lee which I guess is a partner in Chapman Guitars. Their new line of guitars with in house built pickups really seem top notch, just wish there were more US retailers of the guitars so I could check them out in person.

https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/products/chapman-ml2-pro-modern-fireburst-with-case

Tiny bit of drool on my keyboard after looking at that...:geek:

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Not really impressed myself.
But I'm not as partial to the electrics as I am a nice acoustic..... although the LP's do turn my head as do a certain few Tele's.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Maybe zappaDPJ zappaDPJ will take a trip to Andertons and see if I'm missing out on anything! :p

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I spend a lot of time at Andertons, my daughter and other family members live about five minutes down the road from their shop. I know Rob Chapman and all the members of Dorje, his current band. I'm also very familiar with his company's guitars.

They are pretty good, especially the current range and provide excellent value for money. The problem is they don't suit me at all. I can't get a tone out of any of the models I'm familiar with that I can use. On the one hand they are favored by metal players but on the on other I find them overpoweringly bright. It's something that should be tempered by the tone pots but they just don't seem to work, I find they go from bright to mud.

I honestly want to like them but they really are not for me, I prefer Ibanez of which I have quite a few.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
On the one hand they are favored by metal players but on the on other I find them overpoweringly bright.
That's probably why I don't find them attractive - along with the headstock that looks like someones club foot. :eek:
And I honestly find the LP has a much sweater sound..
This isn't a "fair" comparison because he doesn't hit the same riffs with the same pickups, but gives you a general idea.

A little more realistic comparison just reinforces my opinion.

The big issue with Gibson right now is their spotty quality control.
For as much as you pay for the LP Standard/Classic/Traditional they should be perfect.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
This isn't a "fair" comparison because he doesn't hit the same riffs with the same pickups, but gives you a general idea.
He mentioned a key thing in that video, "It doesn't sound anything like a Les Paul because it's a ML2 Modern"..Modern being what that company is striving for in looks, sound and quality I think. I have a Les Paul (Epiphone but still..high end one) and love it, I wasn't looking to buy a Chapman to replace the LP I really do like the sounds (as much as a video can do at least) of the Chapman.

Like I said though, wish there was a retailer close to me with some..would like to hear and feel them in person.

especially the current range and provide excellent value for money.
I think that is what is drawing me into even considering one, I can tell that parts used are very well built and Rob and all involved look like they actually give a hoot about what is being sold and not looking to stuff their pockets.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
A little more realistic comparison just reinforces my opinion.
A $500 guitar vs a $2k guitar, I'd pick the $500 at this time cause I don't have the $2k (well I do but the wife would beat me out of the house if I bought another guitar right now :p).

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
A $500 guitar vs a $2k guitar, I'd pick the $500 at this time cause I don't have the $2k (well I do but the wife would beat me out of the house if I bought another guitar right now :p).
Think of me right now working on sweet talking the wife over a National resonator. And honestly, I don't "need" it... it's more of a want.

My next electric will probably end up being a nice bass guitar.