Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus GX

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Should be here Wednesday and I can't wait to plug it in and hear the pickups. This will be my first upper class guitar so I hope it last a long time :)

1508236929800.png
1508236956176.png
1508237012663.png

Specs:
  • Body: Mahogany
  • Top: Quilt Maple
  • Neck: Mahogany
  • Neck Shape: SpeedTaper D-Profile Satin Finish
  • Neck Joint: Glued-in set neck
  • Scale: 24.75 inches
  • Frets: 24, jumbo
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Fingerboard Radius: 14 inches
  • Binding:
    • Mother of pearl stickpin on headstock face
    • Mother of pearl and abalone block and triangle on 1,3,5,7,9,12, and 15th fret
    • Mother of pearl blocks on 17, 19, 21, and 24th fret
  • Nut Width: 1.68
  • Nut Material: Graphite
  • Machine Heads: Grover 14:1
  • Neck Pickup: Gibson USA 490R humbucker
  • Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA 498T humbucker
  • Controls:
    • 1-neck volume with push/pull coil tapping
    • 1-neck tone
    • 1-bridge volume with push/pull coil tapping
    • 1-bridg tone
  • Pickup selector: Epiphone all-metal 3-way toggle
  • Knobs: Metal barrel with mother of pearl inlaid tops
  • Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic
  • Tailpiece: LockTone Stopbar
  • Output jack: Epiphone Exclusive non-rotating heavy duty output jack
  • Straplocks: Epiphone exclusive
  • Case: Hard case included

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
The newer Epi's are a really nice guitar. They are nothing like the older ones - the Chinese have come along way on their quality control and some of the the Epiphones give the Gibsons a run for their money.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I watched a video of the plant tour for Epiphone, really interesting and very similar to Gibson's approach though it seemed more was still done by hand at Epiphone.

At 5:05 I was a little concerned with the lady clamping the neck on the finger board.

Last edited:

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
It looks as though a lot of the presses and stuff were re-purposed from another manufacturing that was there. Don't see any problem with that and surely saves a tremendous amount of money.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
It looks as though a lot of the presses and stuff were re-purposed from another manufacturing that was there. Don't see any problem with that and surely saves a tremendous amount of money.
Yeah, but come on... paper clips for clamps?
I know hobbyist do that, but you'd think a company like Gibson/Epi would have something a little more "tailored" for that. :ROFLMAO:

Mick

Founding Member
Nice guitars these, I have the exact same model and colour Prophecy GX. I originally ordered a Black Cherry, but when it arrived it had a broken pickup selector switch, and a scratch on the body where the toggle from the switch had scraped across it. They didn't have another BC in stock so settled for a Heritage Chery Sunburst, which I actually like better. So all is good.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. ;)

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I think I'm going to sell this off and get something else that isn't so flashy. Never really bonded with it though it is a sweet guitar.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Guitar Center offered me $350 :LOL:

Was looking forvsomething closer to $500 at least but I guess that was just wishful thinking!

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Guitar Center offered me $350 :LOL:

Was looking forvsomething closer to $500 at least but I guess that was just wishful thinking!
They have a tendency to low ball.... I traded a Taylor 114ce in and they gave us $450 on it. Turned around and had it on their wall a few days later at $799. I could have sold it for more on the open market but was getting a Fender Tele and they knocked some off it also.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I could have probably haggled more and said I was going buy something there but what I want GC doesn’t carry ;)

Will probably throw it on Reverb and see what happens though I’d likely have to undercut what’s already listed on there because there are a few.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Looks like if you priced it at $550 you'd still be below the ones I saw on Reverb.
I know that the LP I have would be one of the last I got rid of... it's a really comfortable feel and nice sound. Also great build quality.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Really starting eyeball the Telecaster Elite aged cherry, there is one local to me, 5 mins away, for $1500 that I think they’d would possibly take $1200 if it was flashed in front of them.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I REALLY like my Tele's. There is a definite sound difference between them and the Strat and the Les Paul.
My American Pro (rosewood fretboard) is in transparent crimson (beautiful in person) and then my MIM FSR is in the butterscotch blonde with maple fretboard. It's nice, but the transparent crimson is more "in your face".
I also like the V-Mod single-coil Telecaster PU's on it. The new Elites have a different PU (4th Gen noiseless) and sound different to me.
You can also get the American Pro brand new for around $1550. A couple of the guys I know that have local bands also prefer the Professional over the Elite, due to the neck difference (apparently the Elite changes as it goes down the neck) and the PU's.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
apparently the Elite changes as it goes down the neck
They do and it's generally a very good thing.

The reason guitar necks have a radius is because it's intended to match the curvature of your hand. Hold up your hand as if you were playing a chord on an imaginary guitar and you can see that in an instant.

Unfortunately a Fender with a traditional 7.25" radius neck is particularly prone to choking. Choking occurs when a bent string comes into contact with the next fret up as the string is pushed across the board. Lower string actions will be highly prone to this. To compensate, I have had all the high end frets on my 7.25" radius guitars (including my vintage '63 strat) flattened in the middle to reduce the radius. This is a rather radical solution that I wouldn't undertake on a good guitar unless you are really sure about it.

A more sensible solution would be to manufacture a guitar with a compound radius and this is exactly what Fender have done with the Elite series. The neck at the nut end starts at a more sensible 9.5” radius which slowly morphs into a 14” profile at the 'dusty end' of the neck. I believe they also change shape going from a modern C to a D which is something I'm not so keen on.

At the end of the day it comes down to what's comfortable. I find I can easily adapt to most shaped necks but I prefer a low action and anything with a 7.25" radius is a complete nonstarter for me unless it's had a considerable amount of work done to the frets.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
The compound neck is one of the reasons I’d like to get it, far easier to barre on a 9.5 radius than the 14 that is on my Epi LP.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
They do and it's generally a very good thing.
The guys I've talked to all have gotten used to the "pro style" and were set in their ways. I personally think the LP has a better neck on it than the Tele's - and if I get rid of any of the guitars it will be them. In the end, it comes down to personal preference and what one is used to. I know several who do not like the modified low oval performing artist taper necks... me, I really am comfortable with them.