Feeling the beat...

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've been trying to get into tapping my foot, metronomes and other things to help get the juices flowing but have a hard time with it. Is this something that just takes time like everything else when learning?

zappaDPJ

Staff member
You are probably going too fast. Slow the metronome down until you are hitting the beat. Use something like the minor pentatonic scale as described here. It doesn't matter how slow you need to go, 2 or 3 seconds between beats is fine if that what it takes to play the next note on the beat.

There will come a point when you will no longer be thinking which note to play or when to play it, your muscle memory will do that for you so you will now be thinking how to play that note to make it your own or even what you want for dinner.

Always, always start slow and practice, practice, practice. You will get there in the end and what feels hard and awkward now will become second nature.

Last edited:

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
That is what I figured, sound advice zappaDPJ zappaDPJ .

Just needed to know if I was rhythmless or just needed time :D

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've been trying to get into tapping my foot, metronomes and other things to help get the juices flowing but have a hard time with it. Is this something that just takes time like everything else when learning?
Takes time... that is probably the thing that I have the hardest time with. I listen to hard to the metronome and then loose my place, or with the foot tapping I'll concentrate on it and not on the notes. It's a learned skill. Alex (my instructor) emphasized to me it will come with practice and time and to not "rush" it.