Fender 10g 10w amp

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The one thing that concerns me about both amps is the headphone socket. I would never allow a child to use headphones plugged into a guitar amp. You need to know what level of sound your children are being exposed to. These days I use half a watt in the studio and 10 watts on stage (before it hits the PA). My 10 watts will drown out a drummer.

Now the health and safety notice has been issued let's talk about the tone. Both amps have a pretty decent clean tone but for my money the Fender has the edge once the gain is turned up. The Vox sounds a little too wild although I suspect it may better suit a guitar loaded with humbuckers. For single coils I'd definitely go for the Fender.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
We do have headphones for children that will only put out a safe volume so hopefully won’t be an issue. Still debating on them for gifts as their Birthdays are Jan 7th (yes both of them, born on the same day a year apart :p)

zappaDPJ

Staff member
We do have headphones for children that will only put out a safe volume so hopefully won’t be an issue.
OK, I would make sure of that. Going deaf in your 50s because you've been exposed to loud music is one thing but living with tinnitus is worse than cancer (I have both so I know).

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Tinnitus sucks... mine is from shooting guns for so long without hearing protection - and then having a 200 watt siren mounted over you that was used for 10 years didn't help.
Some days the ringing is worse than others... and it's one reason that I have difficulty with the 1-2 string notes on the guitar. Some of those frequency's are in the range that I have issues with hearing.
Heck, depending on which side of my head is up in morning makes a difference on whether I hear the alarm going off or not.

It is REALLY important that they don't do the standard "blow the windows out of the house" routine when running the amps with no headphones. It will definitely catch up with them and later life sucks if you don't have full hearing.