Fender Play

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I don't do FaceBook much, but recently I kept seeing ads for Fender Play. Looks like it could be an interesting way to learn to play if one is more prone to use digital lessons than an actual instructor.
Looks like they also have a 30 day trail period going on to try it out.
Right now they have a Black Friday special going on where it's $9.99 a month instead of the regular $19.99.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Haven't heard much good from it myself. Seems to be rushed considering how many things like that are out in the market now. Though the price of $9.99 is tempting especially trial based.

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yeah, I've been to Justin's site many a time and pretty sure Steve has also.
The downfall with his and the GuitarTricks site are they are basically desktop/laptop friendly and do not have an associated IOS app like FenderPlay apparently does.
Using a tablet on the music stand is so much easier than trying to watch from a computer desk and play. I found that unless I was using my wife's iPad Pro (12.9" version) it was harder for these old eyes to see (using the web browser) compared to my standard iPad or the iPad mini.
When using the iPads with an associated guitar learning app it was easier as the app was designed for the device(s).

Ideally they'd get an IOS app out for presentation of their materials. Of the two, I'd lean more towards GuitarTricks being the most likely to be able to do that.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player

zappaDPJ

Staff member
According to my guitar tech, Fender Play is what a guitar manufacturer does when they are in deep financial trouble and can no long manufacture decent guitars.

I can't really comment except to say there are a number of free high quality guitar tutors on-line (Justin Guitar has already been mentioned) which I would very much recommend. I give advanced guitar lessons and often refer people of all abilities to Justin's site to which I also contribute financially on a regular basis to help keep his lessons free.