Getting older & Manual labor

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Don't mix well.
Last weekend I helped my son mix and place 4800lbs of concrete and backfill about 7 cubic yards of backfill.
Then had the fun of getting stuff (during the week) prepared for Thanksgiving.
Yesterday we finished out the backfill (about 2 1/2 cubic yards) and then put the top blocks on the cinderblock wall.
Today we made two trips with the truck loaded down with old cement chunks from the old wall that had collapsed to dump at my brothers land on the back side of the dam at the spillway.

Needless to say, tonight my back is definitely telling me (along with a few other muscles) that I'm to old for this .... ahem... stuff. :coffee:
Was going to go practice some guitar tonight and as I was my hands started cramping up. No guitar, but a nice hot shower and a Baclofen later I'm feeling a little more sociable. o_O

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
When I feel I'm getting tired working I think of my Dad. He's 77 this year and still gets up everyday and runs service calls like he's 50. He had both knees replaced in 2012 and that didn't even slow him down but a couple months.

I definitely feel you though and for myself it is all about diet and hydration when I get overworked. Good meals, water and breaks goes a long way.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yeah, but throwing those 80lb bags of concrete around and into the mixer will tell on you really quickly.
I have no issues crawling under desks for computer related work, etc.... but there's just something about moving that much dirt a shovel full at a time. ;)

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Try man handling 1200lb+ washing machines and wrestling 275lb electric motors out of 18" space..lol

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I can empathise (I'm English, I empathise with and 's' and not a 'z' :p) with that. I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis, peripheral nephropathy and nurologic issues which play merry hell with my ability to play the guitar but I also enjoy physical exercise and manual labour. I literally built the house I live in, brick by brick.

Unfortunately the two don't mix. The health of your spine can have a major impact on your ability to play the guitar, Eric Clapton can testify to that.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I'm pretty sure I've tried everything including alternative therapies. I've had a lifetime of pain management experience to such an extent I've contributed chapters to publications given away to patients in our national health service.

I'm on Fentanyl patches (morphine), regular analgesics and intermittent diazepam which is actually a massive step down from what I was on previously :eek: