Gibson, as good as it once was?

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Lot of talk about how QC has dropped at Gibson in recent years and a few published commercials are not really helping their rep. Has having a, what some call lower quality, sister brand (Epiphone) hurt Gibson in some form or another? Epiphone sure has picked up it's game in recent years and offer affordable products with quality parts for the most part.

I seen this video recently and thought I would share.

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Gibson needs to get back to concentrating on guitars. Their QC has really dropped on many of their lines and I would only be willing to buy an acoustic Gibson that was at least 20 years or older. Even their electric stuff has issues.
I really lucked out on my LP that I got as everything seems to be almost perfect on it from my exam. But I really should take it into a luthier and let them look at it to confirm before the warranty I got from the dealer expires.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I could write a book on it and it would be an angry one. Perhaps this will put things in perspective.

My brother-in-law decided to buy himself a Gibson Les Paul to learn to play on even though he's never even picked up a guitar in his life. His budget was whatever it costs so we spent a while visiting all the best guitar shops in the south of England. What we ended up buying was a PRS.

As I've said elsewhere I was given what I thought was a $3,000 Les Paul but I've since found out it retailed at substantially more than that. At the moment it's with my guitar tech who is trying to remove the neck in order to realign it to make it playable.

I could tell you a lot of other Gibson horror stories but the main one of concern is that it's current capital structure is such that's unsustainable and there's a real risk that it will face a default in July 2018.