Guitar Center $1billion in debt

zappaDPJ

Staff member
All the good music has been done so there's no need for musicians or musical instruments.

OK, so that's a ridiculous statement, probably related to my age but it is true to say that guitar orientated music isn't in vogue and this is the knock on effect. I'm starting to see guitars on sale with massive discounts, another sign of the times.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
OK, so that's a ridiculous statement
I was going to post a similar response but figured I'd see where this discussion would go. I don't think something else is taking it's place, I've been in many of stores recently and the amount of people buying seems good. What I do see is a sea of options, a flooded market more or less. More entry level offerings than you can even imagine. Not sure how the product stock works at any of the GC's, whether it is all on wholesale basis or more of they sell then pay for the stuff.

Some of the statements in the article saying people don't want to spend 6 months to a year to learn, i went into this thinking 3-4 years min..lol. They mention kids a couple times wanting instant gratification, true is some ways but not the reason. If a business can't recognize issues before they become major problem it is time to find new management.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
In terms of manufacture and retail I'm seeing real doom and gloom in every corner of the market. Manufacturers are clearly having problems. Some are shrinking or closing down, some are putting out really weird instruments in the hope they will appeal to someone, others are attempting to mass produce at lower price points.

The real problem is there's saturation in a radically changing market.

With one or two exceptions (PRS possibly being one) I think the response from most of the manufacturers has been wrong and they probably deserve to go bust, and sad to say that applies to Gibson. I'm sure they will take some of the retailers with them. If I were a retailer I would have looked at my options and started downsizing a while ago.

The retailers that survive will ironically probably be the always empty shops that sell a range of overpriced budget gear to schools and to parents who couldn't tell the difference between a $7,500 Les Paul and $100 far eastern knock off.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
One of the larger issues I see (and have heard commented on by some friends kids) is that there is not really any current music that they listen to that involves guitars to any extent. It's more percussion/keyboard/special effects.
So they don't really have anyone to emulate like we (old fogeys) did growing up.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
One of the larger issues I see (and have heard commented on by some friends kids) is that there is not really any current music that they listen to that involves guitars to any extent. It's more percussion/keyboard/special effects.
So they don't really have anyone to emulate like we (old fogeys) did growing up.
Very much so and that's why the big box shifters will be the first to go leaving only the small independents who will still have the professional musician market left to sell to.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Was rather unique..
But unluckily it won't be that attractive to the younger generation.

I think one of the issues is the amount of time it actually takes to become proficient with the guitar. Our younger society tends to lean more towards instant gratification unluckily.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Instant gratification isn’t really a new thing, I would think everyone would want some gratification quickly. There is still a lot of talent out there, manufacturers dream of everyone playing but that just isn’t the case and why we see so many brands out there.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
From talking with my instructor, it's not unusual for many students to drop out - not due to cost but due to losing interest due to lack of being able to "play something like a rock star".