Guitar strings, what's your favourite brand?

Mick

Founding Member
Haven't tried many of the brands out there, but seem to have stuck with D'Addario strings as my current favourites, love the tone and the feel.

So what's you favourite brand of guitar strings, and why?

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Ernie Ball Slinky/Super Slinky since I can remember... 40+ years I guess. The only reason I use them is because I've never found a reason not to.

The reason I use the two gauges is because I prefer to use slightly heavier strings on my Telecasters and for recording purposes.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
All I hear is great raves for EB SS on electrics. I haven't had to change any strings yet, but I've got several packs of them for the electric guitars.
For the acoustics I've found that each has a set of strings that they like. I've tried Martin SP, Martin Retro, Curt Magnan and D'Addario's on the 00-17SE, and it REALLY shines with the Curt Mangan's. The OM-28 seems to like the Martin SP's a tad better (at least to my hearing) and the new 000-18 sounds especially nice with the Martin Retro's.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Haven’t had a need for a restring yet but I’ll most likely use the Ernie Balls on my Epi LP when the need arises though I’ve had a thought about going down a step for some easier playing. On my Fender T-Bucket I would probably go with D’Addarios.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
All I hear is great raves for EB SS on electrics. I haven't had to change any strings yet, but I've got several packs of them for the electric guitars.
On my Fender T-Bucket I would probably go with D’Addarios.
The main thing about strings and electric guitars is not to worry too much about which brand sounds better or plays better because in reality they all sound and play much the same. What's important is finding which gauge of string you feel comfortable with. That's something that comes with experience and you may well find like me that one size doesn't fit all.

The reason why it's so imperative to find a gauge you like and stick with it is because whatever gauge that is, it'll probably throw your guitar's neck out. It's at that point you should visit a good guitar tech and have the neck, bridge and pickups properly set up for height and intonation. That might involve some fret leveling but at the end of the day you'll end up with a guitar that plays far better than when you first acquired it. In fact that simple process can easily turn garbage into gold.

In 50 years of playing I've only bought one instrument that didn't need some sort of adjustment and that was something I had built for me by a master luthier at Fender. I can't really emphasize enough how important it is to have your guitars setup by a professional guitar tech. I'd say 95%+ of electric guitars I've played in shops are nowhere near setup to their full potential. In fact I only know of one outlet in the UK that actually bothers to setup the guitars they sell but now we are going a little off-topic. This is a discussion for another thread :)