Guitar Wireless systems

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Any preferences on brand/model?

Owning some furry little cable chewers I've been thinking about getting a wireless system to go from the guitar to the amp.
I've mainly been looking at the Sennheiser line, but the Shure look interesting also.

The primary one I've been eyeballing is the Sennheiser EW 100 G4-CI1. Just not sure which band would be safest to go with for it. Also I know that since it's an analog it can have issues of it's own... so I've also started looking at the digital units. I doubt they have as much range as the analog, but I honestly don't need that much, even if I ever DO get to the point I'm gigging.

The digital unit I'm looking at is the Shure GLXD14R. It is a rack mount unit (as I plan on putting all the goodies into a box (amp, power switch, this, the GSP-1101).

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The only system I've got any real experience of is a dual rack-mount version of the Carvin UX1000 which is probably now discontinued. I don't use it a lot, not because I've ever had a problem with it, it's just easier to plug in a cable.

My guitar tech probably has a better idea of what to use, I'll ask him.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I hinted around to the wife about a decent setup around Christmas time but I don’t think she caught on lol...definitely would like to have something though probably overkill for me at this point still.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
My guitar tech said a lot of the musicians he works with use Sennheiser units on channel 38 which requires a license. He prefers the Shure GLXD16 which doesn't need a license but it's in a stomp box form. He's not familiar with the GLXD14R.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yeah, the Sennheiser units are also analog (ergo the license requirement) and most of the Shure are digital on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz (same as WiFi).
The 14R is just a rackmount version of the 14, which is just a box version (basically) of the 16, which can be mounted on your pedal system. They should both be similar, with the 14R probably having a little more range due to the antenna's it has.