Hard Case vs Gig Bag

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've never really found a good use for a gig bag in the environment that I am around. The hard cases provide much more protection of the instrument and since I'm not walking long distances I find no need to sling it over my back.

Just curious at how often the use of a gig bag compared to the hard case is for most of us.
If any of your guitars came with a gig bag, did you replace it with a hard case?

The Ibanez AVN10 that I have came with neither abag nor hard case, but I recently ordered a hard case for it from Musicians Friends (got it for free using my reward points). The Breedlove I have coming in ships with a gig bag, but am researching hard cases for it also.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
My Epi Les Paul GX came with a very nice hard case which I think they’re better suited for electric guitars and my Fender T-Bucket cake with a complimentary gig bag from the music store I got it from, really nice bag. I plan on taking the Fender camping so I think it’d be far easier to deal with than a hard case.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Gig bags with straps are ideal for students. Carrying a guitar around on your back is a lot easier than carting around a heavy case.

I have a loft full of empty guitar cases. All my guitars live in racks or flight cases like these if I'm gigging.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yep, being on a campus or similar I can see carrying it around. But for gigging I don't really see where they would be of benefit. Even carrying camping I'd personally prefer to have a hard case instead of a soft case.

Unluckily I can't put all mine out on racks as I don't have an independent music room (yet). My music room is our guest bedroom so I have to keep most of the stuff hidden under the bed or in a closet. :cautious: