I think I need a smaller pick

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Being new I'm sure this is normal but getting hung up on the strings is getting annoying and I'm wondering if a smaller pick may be a good option for me to help decrease this form happening. I ordered a Gravity pick, which should be here today, that is smaller but it is thicker so that may be not what I want but we'll see if the smaller size will help anything first.

This what I ordered.
https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GRV-GSUS15P

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Not smaller at all :p - not sure where I read it but I thought it was a "mini" pick..guess not!

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
The majority of the standard picks are all the same "size". The 351 is a tad smaller than most standard picks with the exception of the Jazz size, so you may want to see if you can find some of them. The main difference is the thickness of them. Typically the thicker the pick, the more projection it gives. The thinner picks are typically used for acoustics and allow a more "delicate" sound.
I use Dunlop Tortex in .60mm, .60mm and .88mm right now. I need to get some of the 1.0mm and 1.14mm ones to try out.
Be sure you are holding the pick correctly. That's one of the biggest mistakes that is made by beginning guitarist.

Different pick styles

picks-guitar_pick_shapes.jpg

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
For holding, basically the way my instructor advises is to similar to this (grabbed from Google)
Then you simply place your thumb down on it and gently hold it in place.

IMG_1216.jpg

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yeah trying that method though I feel more comfortable using my pinky as a stand or prop. Just going to take time I think.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I used to play without a pick which made me the odd man out for years and a bit of a curiosity amoung other guitarists. In fact I thought I was alone until MTV and YouTube enlightened me by revealing Lindsey Buckingham, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, and more recenlty Derek Trucks and John Mayer all playing without a pick.

In recent years I've started to use one and probably went through over a hundred different shapes and sizes before I found something that I could actually use.

s-l300.jpg

Why these picks? They are consistant and comfortable. They all feel the same and they are the right size and weight for me, regardless of what instrument I'm playing or what I'm playing on it. They also give me the kind of sound I'm looking for. However the main reason I use them exclusively is they stay exactly where I want them to stay. They never move and I never drop them.

Whatever you use will be right for you but you won't know what that is until you've tried them all. Go into a guitar shop and buy yourself a good handful of different picks. That's really the only advice I can give.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I have some of the Dunlop max-grip .73's I've been trying and actually really liking them. Since I don't really have that "touch" yet it helps not having the thicker picks getting to the string I want.

Mick

Founding Member
I have real trouble with stopping the pick rotating. Really must work on my technique. ;)

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Be sure you are holding the pick correctly. That's one of the biggest mistakes that is made by beginning guitarist.
I have to say I did start wrong, using a pinch instead of this resting on the side of the finger method. Slowly getting it right but I find myself hitting the tip of my index finger on the string a LOT. At the same time though I can say it helps my alt picking tremendously and as well as the dead sound I was getting from my strings on upward picks, may be the Ernie Ball 9's Super Slinkys' I added too.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
That is exactly why I use the Herco picks picture above
I have some Dunlops that look similar though are only .73mm. I'd like to find some 1.0 versions maybe but these Big Stubby's are nice too.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've been using the Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm and 0.88mm and have been happy with them so far.