If you could only have one guitar

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
What would it be?

For me, it would probably be the Martin 000-18 I have. Something about the sound of that guitar just "sings" to me, more-so than any of the other guitars I've played with or own.
I won the jackpot when I got it it.
The Martin 00-17se would run a close second as it has a GREAT voice on it, but can't match the tones of the 000-18.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
An early 60's (pre-CBS) Fender Stratocaster. I have one that I bought to sell but I've become very attached to it.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I’d very much love to have a Martin in some form but at those prices I haven’t even picked one up :p

To afraid I’ll get attached and end up selling everything to buy it!

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I’d very much love to have a Martin in some form but at those prices I haven’t even picked one up :p

I just bought one, don't hate me, it's the only one I own :censored:

Typically for me the one I bought I didn't really like the look of but it had a noticeable resonant edge over what I originally intended to buy. I'll post some more details in another thread.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I wouldn’t be opposed of their low end stuff, $700ish. My fender to me sounds wonderful and it’s basically a starter.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player

I learned a long time ago with guns... purchase what you really want and then you aren't left upgrading later. I can't tell you the amount of money I spent on guns because of not following that stricture.

I like the Martin's because I'm just very fond of their tones and it's what a lot of the artists I like use.
Much of the newer Asian made stuff will give the US made guitars a run for their money as far as sound goes. That little Ibanez I have is a good sounding parlor size.

I'm just really comfortable playing the 000-18, even more-so than the OM-28, which is basically the same body size. It is also a short-scale guitar (24.9" vs 25.4 for the OM-28). Doesn't hurt that the 000-18 is a 'hog while the OM-28 is EIR - so there are differences in the sound.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The Martin I ended up buying was chosen primarily on the recommendation of a sound engineer and wasn't hideously expensive.

The only serviceable acoustic guitar I own is great for live gigs but it doesn't record well. The Martin I bought has a much more consistent volume across the frequency range which I'm assured will make it easier to record. If nothing else it's far more comfortable to play compared to other acoustics I've used and it's a real triumph in terms of bang for your buck.

I was looking for a 000-15M but ended up with a slightly more expensive burst version because for some unfathomable reason this particular one had a sound that set it apart from the non-burst models I tried and I tried a lot. It's already gone to my guitar tech so I can't post pictures until I get it back but it's one of these...

martin_000_15_mahogany_burst_1933203_12__05463.1458917550.1280.1280.JPG

They cost around double that of Martin's low cost guitars but they are professional grade, manufactured to similar standards of their higher end models. What they lack is a pretty face and detail such as binding which contributes nothing much to playability or sound.

If you are looking for a Martin but don't want to completely break the bank, this is the range I'd aim for. It's a guitar for life that will play well, sound great and hold its value.

I was going to start another thread with images but it'll have to wait until I get the guitar back.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
The 15's and the 17's are a great series guitar. I have the 00-17se ('hog B&S with sitka spruce top). The 15 series are all 'hog and have a slightly different sound. Both are supposed to be good recording guitars. I like the brighter sound from the sitka top.