Marshall 2525h mini silver jubilee

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Well, the better half has suggested instead of more guitars (of which she says I currently have plenty) that I might want to look at getting a nicer amp than the ones I have now (low end intro amps).

I've always been partial to Marshall amp sounds for some reason (most of the guys I knew that played used them). I've been giving some serious consideration to the above in a stack format. If I go with this I will also get the matching 140W extension cabinet (has 2 x 12" Celestion G12 Vintage speakers in it). Needless to say, online videos never do an amp justice. Was wondering if by chance anyone has heard/messed with one or has a good alternative to it.
I'm more into the 70's and 80's rock music, and this amp is supposed to recreate those sounds well.
One thing I like about it, apparently it's a pure tube amp with no effects (digital reverb, delay, etc).

Was looking to keep the price around $2000-$2200 and wanted a stack and not a combo. Would love to have a JCM800, but that is WAY more than I want to spend on the head alone for my level of play.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I've had a lifetime's experience with Marshall amps and speakers. Did you have a particular model/wattage in mind?

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've had a lifetime's experience with Marshall amps and speakers. Did you have a particular model/wattage in mind?
Yep... as in title... the 2525H Silver Jubilee is what I'm heavily leaning towards as it's more the 70's/80's American rock sound. ;)
It's a 20/5-watt selectable tube amp. I really don't need much more than 20w truthfully as I won't ever being playing out.

In keeping with Steve Steve 's favorite folks!

Was looking at the Fenders, but not really impressed with their heads. Same with Peavey.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I chose to ignore the thread title :giggle:

I haven't watched the entire video but their point about the chrome face is very valid especially with those cylindrical knobs. My amps have the same and you can pretty much ignore any lettering in any light but my amps also have old fashioned pointer knobs so it's less of an issue.

In my view these amps don't sound great with single pole pickups...

And I'm not completely convinced that humbuckers sound too good either...

For comparison I Googled Les Paul Marshall and loaded up the video at the top of the list...

If you can hang on I'll go and try an 2525H head and cab either this weekend or next and tell you if I think those videos are representative. As of this moment I'm not particularly taken by that particular model but that might just be me.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yeah, these tend to sound better using the LP than the Strat's from what I looked at.

Needless to say, the JCM800 would be my ultimate... but that's around $2500 for the head and another $600-$800 for the cabinet. WAY outside what I'm looking to spend.

The other head I've been looking at is the Orange TH30H combined with the Orange PPC212 cabinet. I'm just not real fond of the tone when compared to the Marshal - realize, that's just to me and my ears. Some reviews say that the TH30 can be a little to edgy with single coil PU's on the clean channel.

An FX loop is a requirement also.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The second video is far more in keeping with what I'd expect from a Marshall amp and I couldn't help but notice one of the comments...

'Nice tone. There aren't that many good demos of this amp. Marshall's own demo is not very convincing.'

That poses a number of questions. Are all the other demos including Marshall's which I thought was dire really that poor? Why does this demo sound so much better? Could it be down to pedals or the speaker cab which isn't Marshall. I'd have to try one myself to know.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Hmmmm... Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36 sounds pretty good also..... and I don't need the digital effects of the GrandMeister's as I've already got the hardware that will allow me to do that.
It also appears to get great reviews at the major online retailers.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Hmmmm... Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36 sounds pretty good also.....
I don't know much about that particular amp but after watching a couple of videos I was very impressed. The clean channel blew me away (I prefer to use a pedal boosted clean channel sitting right on the edge of breakup). I was also impressed by the I/O options which you don't often get on a valve driven amp.

It's a far more versatile amp than the Marshall and seems to sound good no matter what you plug into it. It would certainly suit me. I found a video of Rabea Massaad, the guitarist from Rob Chapman's band using a pair of 40s in a stereo rig which is pretty much how I set my gear up.

And this. Probably more what you are looking for.

Really nice amp. It would be high on my list.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Ended up ordering the Tubemeister 36 with the H&K 2x12 cabinet. Should be here next Tuesday so I'll get to see how it sounds first hand. If I don't like it I can always send it back.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Doing some more reading, the TubeMeister 36 is said to not be a true full tube amp as they use an opamp in the preamps.
I'm planning on eventually getting a Mesa/Boogie - but that will be down the line as I think this one will probably suffice for me for a while.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
It sounds really good. I’m stuck with my Line 6 V30 for a while though but currently don’t need much more. I do wish I had went for the Orange 35RT.. 🤔

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Doing some more reading, the TubeMeister 36 is said to not be a true full tube amp as they use an opamp in the preamps.
I'm planning on eventually getting a Mesa/Boogie - but that will be down the line as I think this one will probably suffice for me for a while.
As far as I'm aware the TubeMeister 36 uses three 12AX7s to drive the preamp and four EL84s to drive the power amp section so I'd say it's very much a full tube amp. It's also an amp I'm starting to take a real interest in. The Power Soak function, Red Box DI output and MIDI controller make it extremely attractive and of course it sounds really good especially when paired with the right speaker cab. A 2 or 4 by 12" cab with scooped mid-range characteristics seem to work well.

This video gives a hint of why I find this amp so interesting.

I have a love hate relationship with Mesa Boogie. I want to like them, many of my favorite musicians use them but I just can't get them to work for me.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
A 2 or 4 by 12" cab with scooped mid-range characteristics seem to work well.
The cabinet I've got coming in is their 120w closed box with 2 x 12" Celestion 30 speakers. 43lbs in weight. Same speaker he he has set up on the above video it looks like.
I'm hoping it will do really well with the Digitech GSP1101 in 4CM hookup.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I would expect the cab to be well matched. I don't know much about the Digitech but I imagine when it's all hooked up you'll have a lot of options to play with.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
FedEx left just about 30 minutes ago. Still waiting on cables to come in so I can hook this in 4CM.... but in the mean time I've got it hooked in "normally".

Dark shot to see that beautiful blue!

HK1.jpg

And then with the cabinet.

HK2.jpg

I'm going to build a rack box to put the DSP in and that will also hold the amp. Will also give me some room to put a wireless guitar system into the stack cleanly if I want to later.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Very nice, how does it sound?
VERY loud 60hz hum in it. Box had some damage to it and think that it may have gotten a tube knocked loose. I switched every circuit in the house off and turned off all equipment in two different rooms (different circuits) to make sure it was no other equipment causing an issue. Talked with Sweetwater and their tech tends to agree so he's shipping 2 new 12AX7's for the pre-amp since when it's set into standby it's not doing the hum. The hum is present when the amp is attached to the cabinet and the amp powered up - no other devices (guitars, etc) attached.
The hum interferes with the sound... but what you can hear sounds promising.

If that doesn't work it will be a return and they can fight with FedEx over it.

IMG_2958.JPGIMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.JPG

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The hum is present when the amp is attached to the cabinet and the amp powered up - no other devices (guitars, etc) attached.
So nothing at all going into the amp including a lead? It does sound like there might be a damaged valve.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
So nothing at all going into the amp including a lead? It does sound like there might be a damaged valve.
Yep... nothing at all other than the power and the cabinet cable plugged in. I finally decided to break it open following a YouTube guide and one of the pre-amp's did seem looser than the rest so I reseated it and then put it back together and turned her back on. Hum not as bad, but still present so I think that one may have some damage to it. Will know for sure once the new ones come in and I do a full replacement.
I know whatever hit the box that hard most likely didn't help it work better.
I also broke down and ordered a Furman 8+1 Outlet strip that also is a power conditioner. Since I've got to build a box to mount the GPX1101 in I figured get a rack mounted one that will allow everything to hook into it. If this works I'll probably get another for the acoustic amp that is a standalone 2 plug.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Well, got another call from Sweetwater. They are going to ship me a new amp and I'll be shipping this one back. Their tech department head reviewed the ticket and agreed that odds are the amp is probably sustained internal damage and to be on the "safe" side they want to replace it instead of going through replacing tubes and then finding out there is another issue.
Of all the online dealers I've dealt with so far, I've REALLY liked Sweetwater.