Mike Dawes - Amazing acoustic guitarist

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Came across this dude and he is absolutely amazing with the acoustic guitar.

How I found his videos

Such a unique style that isn't all that well known but is becoming a niche of it's own.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Such a unique style that isn't all that well known but is becoming a niche of it's own.
Mike Dawes is definitely the best of the best. I've seen him play live a couple times and the consistency of tone he maintains is just jaw dropping.

Andy McKee is another artist with a similar style worth checking out.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I've seen him play live a couple times and the consistency of tone he maintains is just jaw dropping.
Just to expand on that a bit. The first guitarist I saw using two handed tapping was Steve Hackett during an early 70's Genesis gig. I'm sure he wasn't the first but he certainly preceded Eddie Van Halen who is credited with bringing it into the rock mainstream. Stanley Jordan is another superb two handed tapper who took it to a new level.

A lot of guitarists do it and most use an electric guitar and a compression pedal which helps even out the tone. Mike Dawes also uses a compressor on his electric guitar pedal board but not on his acoustic pedal board and that's what impresses me so much. It's an indication that he has total control over what he's doing.

What defines a guitarist is not what you play but how you play it and Dawes plays it with a consistency I've rarely seen before.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Definitely a technique which cannot be taught, something learned from experimenting.