More Specific Sub-Forums + Homepage

Chris

The forums look quite bare at the moment and threads are thrown in together, would be nice to have some more specific sections - it's quite daunting to look at first time.

Some suggestions, I know some of these exist - but I find that the current phrasing/layout doesn't make them obvious enough:
  • An introduction forum
  • Somewhere to post your rig with the community in detail.
  • Split the gear room up in to things you own, things you plan on buying or just new gear - or something similar.
  • Separate acoustic and electric better and have a section for bass guitar
  • Somewhere to discuss music, be it your favourite guitarists, something you've just found or share your own work.
  • A music theory section.
It might be a good idea to change the home page to promoted threads only since it's the front page since anybody can post in that sub-forum.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Hey Chris and welcome!

As a whole what we were shooting for here was a bit of content before expanding to any sub forums as empty areas tend to make it look less active. I do agree though that it is time to expand some things so good suggestions. ;)

Somewhere to post your rig with the community in detail.
There are some plans for this but it is just a waiting game until the add-on is complete and ready to go live. It will be a "Showcase" type addition with a way to detail all your gear such as ,guitars, pedals, amps, ect...

Separate acoustic and electric better and have a section for bass guitar
Yes that is the eventual plan though currently we use prefixes to designate each item.

Somewhere to discuss music, be it your favourite guitarists, something you've just found or share your own work.
We do have this forum though it is fairly general at the moment. I'll think about a better solution to help organize it better.

A music theory section.
Same as above will get something going for that as well.

It might be a good idea to change the home page to promoted threads only since it's the front page since anybody can post in that sub-forum.
Right now it is simply pulling the newest threads from the main forums, Guitar Talk, The Gear Room and Music. Will need to write some code for anything different but a promotion based front page would be the way to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to work on these throughout the week! (y)

Chris

Hey Chris and welcome!

As a whole what we were shooting for here was a bit of content before expanding to any sub forums as empty areas tend to make it look less active. I do agree though that it is time to expand some things so good suggestions. ;)

There are some plans for this but it is just a waiting game until the add-on is complete and ready to go live. It will be a "Showcase" type addition with a way to detail all your gear such as ,guitars, pedals, amps, ect...

Yes that is the eventual plan though currently we use prefixes to designate each item.

We do havethis forum though it is fairly general at the moment. I'll think about a better solution to help organize it better.

Same as above will get something going for that as well.

Right now it is simply pulling the newest threads from the main forums, Guitar Talk, The Gear Room and Music. Will need to write some code for anything different but a promotion based front page would be the way to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to work on these throughout the week! (y)
Just logged on and it's a huge improvement, can't wait to be a part of this community :)