NGD - Gibson HP 415 W

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
What can I say (other than some quick cell camera photos).
Had stopped in at the Tyler GC to specifically look (and play) a Gibson HP 415 W they showed to have in stock. Got there and it's on the top hooks (of course) so off I go to get some assistance. As we come back into the room and she's getting it down I bring her attention to a dent on it just so she's aware that I didn't do it.
She gives me the guitar and wanders back up front and I start strumming... dang, I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Doesn't hurt that the guitar looks REALLY good (other than that one "oh-shit" dent) and doesn't feel like any other dread I've handled. Play around with it a bit and the girl comes back in and asks how I like it and I told her "If it wasn't damaged I'd be taking it out the front door with me that day". Says she "Oh, if you wait here a minute I'll see what we can do". A few minutes later she comes back in and says "How about $1099.00 plus tax?" Guitar lists there for $1599.... duhhhh..... My response (and a quick one at that) was - "Lets go".
So, long story short, there's now a Gibson acoustic in the stable. Yes, it's a dread size, but surprisingly the 4" depth made a big difference in comfort. Also the neck is a brand new design and is easier to bend on (due to the new flatter radius). Going to play with it some more at home but it does look like it's a keeper even with the "pre-owned look" from the dent.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I'm really pleased with it so far. Heck, I've never had issues buying scatch/dent appliances or guns that had some stock dents if the price was right. And this guitar sounds DANG good. Not as loud as most dreads, but still has a noticeable projection to it.
And the walnut was one of the reasons I really wanted this one. It was very well patterned to my eye.
This is the "intro line" Gibson, but from the sound you can't really tell it from the J-15 or J-45 they had there - other than the difference the wood used gives.

The funny thing was, had not intended to buy anything as we had taken the Fiat 124 Spider over to my wife's Dr's appointment. Was a hoot watching people stare at us coming home with the top down and her holding a dreadnought size case in her lap while driving down the road. :LOL:

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I hear that, my fender (to me) has been one of the best acoustics I’ve heard. Loved it since day one. That walnut though is beautiful.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've got the slope shouldered one (the one on the right at the beginning of the video).

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Don't know if it's because it's the latest to the stable or what... but I'm finding myself grabbing this thing more than the Martin's lately. :)

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Some instruments just demand to be played. I have a couple like that and ironically they are probably the least expensive instruments I own. My 1982 Fender Squier Strat cost somewhere in the region of $350 and it's already had two refrets due to the amount I use it.