Picked up a new ride....

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Nice ride... living in a small town we try to purchase what can be serviced locally. It's really a PITA to have to have something towed 50 miles to have it worked on if you need it. So that restricts us to Ford, Dodge/Fiat, GM/Chevy or Toyota.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Yeah the dealership I went was a combined Toyota and Mitsubishi. Overall good experience even though it took like 4hrs because they were packed at closing time.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Weather Tech is the way to go. I have some door window visors on our '96 F-250 that were put on in '97 and they are STILL working great and in excellent shape. The plastic has not become brittle like many others do. Their mats are also some of the best out.
They make some REALLY good stuff and it's well worth the money.
I'm about to pull the trigger on some for my Fiat Spider as well as getting the cargo/trunk liner as well as getting the mats for the 4Runner.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I would suggest looking into the brand I posted, people with the weather tech much preferred them.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I was sure I posted this yesterday but it appears not... has anyone seen my keys?

I'm looking for a new car and road tested a Mitsubishi Shogun yesterday. [Yesterday now being the day before yesterday.]

The problem is I have too many boxes to tick. I need a four wheel drive with a lot of space in the back to carry my gear and it needs to have a very comfortable driving position.

I liked the Shogun it ticked most of the boxes but the model I was looking at seemed somewhat overpriced and the reviews I read today tend to agree. [Today now being yesterday :rolleyes:]

I notice some of the Outlander models are being heavily discounted here so I might take a look .

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
It has some nice space with all the seats down, we've decided to leave the 3rd row down most likely for ever. Not much room for anything above a 6 year old back there :p

The PHEV versions look interesting but I still think it is a bit early for a plug in car for me.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
It has some nice space with all the seats down, we've decided to leave the 3rd row down most likely for ever. Not much room for anything above a 6 year old back there :p

The PHEV versions look interesting but I still think it is a bit early for a plug in car for me.
The PHEV versions appear to be attracting the biggest discounts here. Apparently they are heavily subsidised by our government and attract other tax advantages. They also come with a 5 year warranty which is a huge plus now that your need an electronics engineer as well as a mechanic to fix a modern car. They get better reviews than the Shogan.

It's certainly on my list.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Only 5 years? It should be 10/100000 on the power train which was a big factor in our decision as most only offer 7/100000 on the power train. The 5 year (5/60000) should be the bumper to bumper.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Only 5 years? It should be 10/100000 on the power train which was a big factor in our decision as most only offer 7/100000 on the power train. The 5 year (5/60000) should be the bumper to bumper.
I'll look into that but in the U.K. it appears to be 5/62,500 with a few exceptions e.g. 8/100,000 for the traction battery on the Outlander PHEV.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
The PHEV versions appear to be attracting the biggest discounts here.
This video is probably the most informative I have seen. Other people are rating it in their own opinion, this guy is reviewing with good info.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Thanks. The PHEV model is starting to look quite attractive. Although charging stations are few and far between in the UK we do a lot of short journeys so there would be a considerable fuel saving. In fact setting aside the cost of recharging we would probably recover over half the cost of the car in less than 10 years.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
You could always look into a small solar panel system to charge the car ;) - Seen a few people doing that. From what I see, people that use it for commuting short distances are seeing around 90+ miles per gallon, Mitsubishi states 130+/- is possible.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I'm considering having solar panels fitted to the entire roof. We now live on the coast and get a huge amount of sun compared to the majority of the UK. When it's minus zero outside I've never known it fall below 16 deg c (60 f) inside. Our heating costs probably amount to less than $100 a year. I think it highly likely solar panels will generate enough power for us to feed it back into the grid and generate income. The question is will I live long enough to get the benefit :eek: