PRS Silver Sky John Mayer Signature Model

zappaDPJ

Staff member
silver_sky_straight_2018a.png

This guitar has caused more controversy than any other musical instrument I can think of, however that's not what this thread is about. If you are already lost, Google will bring you up to speed: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prs+silver+sky+controversy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=F8jMWpO3F67L8geXw6SACw

I've gained a lot of experience over the years and even half deaf I can still tell in an instant if a particular guitar is going to give me the sound I'm looking for. Although I primarily use Telecasters, particular for gigging, it's as much for the boxes they tick as it is for the sound they produce. My real preference is for pre-CBS (early '60s) Strats. There's something about that sound that sets them apart from other guitars.

I currently own a 1963 Strat which I bought to sell. It's all original, in excellent condition and far too valuable to gig with although I do occasionally use it for studio recording. I had no intention of keeping it but I can't bring myself to part with it even though it's proving to be a liability. There's now been two attempts to steal it.

Anyway, if you've read up about the Silver Sky controversy you should have some idea why I've been rambling on about a completely different guitar. So yesterday I spent the best part of a day playing around with a couple of them and I have to say I was impressed.

In fact I was more than impressed, for the first time since I acquired the Strat, I now feel I can let it go to a better home hopefully and I'll be replacing it with a couple of PRS Silver Sky guitars. There's a lot I'd like to say about these guitars but I don't have the time right now. One thing they are not is a replacement for a 63/64 Strat (read the controversy) however the two that I played around with had a familiar mojo aka sound and feel that I don't often come across but really love.

I've never been a John Mayer fan, I'm not sure why, I appreciate his talent but his personality has always rubbed me the wrong way. Being a bit of an old-school purist I really didn't want to like this guitar but holy shit, it could have been made for me.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
It definitely sounds great but I doubt I'd ever own one. Likely just get a nice Fender strat as I'm not fond of the design of PRS guitars.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
It definitely sounds great but I doubt I'd ever own one. Likely just get a nice Fender strat as I'm not fond of the design of PRS guitars.
To be honest I think Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker and Gretch had all the electric guitar designs covered by the late '50s. Everything since has just been variations on a theme with few improvements. Aesthetically I agree, PRS guitars don't really stand out, however in terms of function this guitar really does have a large number of design improvements that sets it apart from the competition.

Something else that struck me is the consistancy of manufacture. I really couldn't tell one guitar from another and with that in mind, I might actually for once be able to choose a guitar based on colour or should I say color I like :giggle: The question is which two of the four options I should go for!?