(Sorta) Saved by Christmas present

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Went over to Tyler (about an hour drive) today to pick up the ham for Christmas. On the way back I stopped in at Guitar Center just to see what they had... and what did my eyes behold but a Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert Bourbon CE Myrtlewood. I had been wanting to try one of the Breedloves out but they are as rare as hens teeth in my home town - even amongst players. Once I picked this one up to fondly fondle I found I REALLY liked the neck on it, almost as nice as the Martin low profile performing artist that I have on the Martin's (I'm somewhat a neck snob I guess you could say).

53575153524__7C6A447E-5F13-4464-898D-3B1774A61E8F.jpeg

Played it and it had a REALLY great sound compared to any others (even some of those $500-750 more) and was a really fun guitar to handle. It was extremely comfortable (in fact, maybe a little more so than my Martins). Was bouncing around about getting it (walking back into the acoustic room 4 times in about 20 minutes) and a teenager (16-17) and his parents came in and were looking at one of the Martins with the laminate back & sides. You could tell that he wasn't really impressed with the sound of it (and neither was I honestly). I asked the salesman what he was looking for and he said they were looking at a nice guitar for a somewhat new beginner. I pointed out that the Breedlove (which I was looking at) had a MUCH better sound than the Martin they were looking at. The salesman said that it was more than they were wanting to pay. I took it off the rack and handed it him and told him to relay to them to have their son A/B the two guitars. When he started to play the Breedlove his face immediately lit up with a smile, which you could even see in his eyes. I told the salesman to tell them that if they found one that "sang" to their son in the general price range, it would be worth spending a little bit more as it would be more likely to keep him going than playing something he wasn't as happy with. His parents ended up letting him get the Breedlove. :cool:

Was kind of bummed since I really wanted it since it had such a great sound and looked really nice, and the fact that it was on sale for $100 off and I had $120 worth of gear points.... but it was going to be the kid's first guitar so I just considered it fate since it was the last one they had.

When I got back home I told my wife about it and she had me go get online with Guitar Center and see if they had one anywhere else.... and sure enough, they did. She went to the back room and came back with one of our "mad money" debit cards and told me to go ahead and order it since I had given up the one I wanted and if this one wasn't as good as the one in the store I could always take it back.
So, now I have one coming in. I can only hope it is as pretty and has as great of sound as the one they had in the store. The online pictures they have show a much lighter side finish than the one in the store had... and I don't like that as well as the the darker that this one had.

From what I can find about it, it was apparently released in February 2017.
Haven't found any videos of one... which is kind of surprising.

If it comes in before my next lesson, I'll take it with me and steal a little of my instructors time to allow me to make a short video of him playing it and then post it on YouTube.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
While reading your post I thought you were going to give the parents the extra it would cost from their budget :p, none the less very nice of you 👍

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
While reading your post I thought you were going to give the parents the extra it would cost from their budget :p, none the less very nice of you 👍
Hey, surrendering a guitar you REALLY wanted is a big sacrifice!!!!

As for "giving" stuff, we normally do that every year. I did that (actually my wife and I did) at Walmart recently with the last of the "happy money". There was a couple in the store that we knew through friends. He recently lost his job and his wife was working at a gas station for minimum wage. They had a few toys and clothes for their kids in the basket for Christmas. They had a list of what the kids had "asked Santa" for and I told Brad to back out of the line and for his wife and mine to just wait and for him to follow me and not to forget the list.
Went and grabbed another cart and dragged Brad back over to the toy aisle and started perusing the list. Ended up getting most of the stuff on there as the kids were not (and it was honestly surprising) asking for a whole bunch as they knew that their parents were struggling. The kids were at the stage where 2 of the 3 knew Santa was make believe.
Ended up getting a few extra things clothing related and and took it to the front and paid for it and we wished them a merry Christmas.
Typically Tanya and I budget a few hundred around this time of year to do exactly this type of stuff but we normally target those that have smaller kids than the teenager looking at the guitar.....

You could tell that the extra money was not going to kill the parents. The dad was wearing what appeared to be a Rolex (looked like my brothers Submariner), his wife was wearing a wedding ring with a stone that would choke a small dog. ;)
Pretty sure both were real as they loaded up into an extremely ugly boxy vehicle that turned out to be a Mercedes SUV with the dad driving. Was curios as what kind it was and turns out that it's one of the G class SUV's (and still an ugly thing).

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Being nice apparently does have it's benefits. The new Breedlove just came in and it sounds as good as the other one, and the wood coloration is MUCH nicer!

I'll get some photos posted shortly.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Thanks...

After this one the wife said "More playing, no more buying".... so guess I'm on guitar restriction for a bit now unless I get rid of some of my current ones (not likely to happen).

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Time to embarrass myself.. and yes, I missed a few notes on the recording and was doing it from memory (misplaced the song sheet). I always "stress" when I know others either are listening or can hear.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Time to embarrass myself.. and yes, I missed a few notes on the recording and was doing it from memory (misplaced the song sheet). I always "stress" when I know others either are listening or can hear.

Sounds good :)

One minor suggestion which will help you progress more in the long term than you might think now; try and get used to alternate (up/down) picking. Learning to do it at the stage you are at will prove hugely beneficial in the long term.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Well, the Breedlove was returned. Never could keep it in tune for more than about 2 days. Hated to take it back, but I'm not going to do the work required on a guitar at that price range. Will just save some more pennies and get a Martin D12-28 on down the line.