Split Humbucker vs. Single-Coil Pickup: Can You Tell the Difference?

Guitar Exit

Can a split humbucker sound as good as a single-coil?

That’s the question Darrell Braun puts to the test in this blind comparison video.

His single-coil guitars for this example are a Fender American Standard Telecaster and a G&L Tribute Series Legacy. His coil-splitting humbucker axes are a PRS SE Custom 24 and an Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan P-Rail pickups.

Darrell’s blind comparisons include the neck pickups, bridge pickups, and neck and bridge pickups together. He also flips the order of the guitars between each comparison to help keep you on your toes.

Now if you have a pair of headphones, you’d better get ’em out and get ’em cranked up, ’cause they’re really gonna help you on this one.

For more of Darrell’s informative videos, visit the Darrell Braun Guitar YouTube channel.

Continue reading...

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Nailed the first comparison, 2nd I mixed up the Tele and Strat, 3rd I got lost..lol

Almost think the comparison would have been better with a mix of Les Paul’s or some such, obviously each guitar in this has its own tone where it’s going to make a little more difficult.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
For some odd reason I can never find a video attached to the content from that site. I thought it might be an ad-block issue but it's not.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Usually at the bottom, I’ve seen them say “video above” and there be no video though.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
For some odd reason I can never find a video attached to the content from that site. I thought it might be an ad-block issue but it's not.
Country block?
The video on the "Continue Reading" link shows fine for me.
I wonder if it could be related to the GDPR stuff that has gone into effect?
I did notice a reference to that in the image on the right.

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 4.53.10 PM.png

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The site appears to have re-enabled videos for the EU so I guess we are out on parole.

I did take a look a this one to see if I could tell the difference. In spite of my damaged hearing The Strat and the Tele were obvious but I got the PRS and Epiphone mix up on all three occasions. As far as I know the PRS method is not a true split because the second coil is not fully removed so I thought I be able to spot that but apparently not.