Stupid deal of the hour

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
Was so tempted to grab this just to see how it is. If didn't like it could always send it back.

Screen-Shot-2018-05-28-at-8.54.25-AM.jpg

Got to reading reviews (even though I had it in my cart) and once the time expired it went back to regular price... so didn't get it.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
These folks are REALLY causing my GAS to act up!
I'm sorely tempted to grab this one... especially at that price.

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 1.15.47 PM.png

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
They had some really good deals on their deal of the hour... I just didn't make up my mind in time to get in on any of them. Still kinda wishing I'd gone ahead with the D'Angelico.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
On a related note... MF's deal of the day today is an Ibanez Talman Prestige Series TM1730M in tri-fade burst maple. Normally $1199 and they have it for $699. From the reviews it sounds like it is very similar to a Stratocaster.
If they were doing the same thing for the white one... it would already be on order.
Sam Ash has them for $899 - but that's still $200 more.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
On a related note... MF's deal of the day today is an Ibanez Talman Prestige Series TM1730M in tri-fade burst maple. Normally $1199 and they have it for $699. From the reviews it sounds like it is very similar to a Stratocaster.
If they were doing the same thing for the white one... it would already be on order.
Sam Ash has them for $899 - but that's still $200 more.
They were popular 20 or more years ago, I didn't know they were still made. I'm pretty sure the original model had three Kent Armstrong lipstick style pickups. The Seymour Duncans in this new version sound very strat like, actually really good on the videos I've pulled up.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
They were popular 20 or more years ago, I didn't know they were still made. I'm pretty sure the original model had three Kent Armstrong lipstick style pickups. The Seymour Duncans in this new version sound very strat like, actually really good on the videos I've pulled up.
Yep... some of the stuff I read said they were more Strat than the Strat was... ended up passing on the deal. Kind of wish now I had gone ahead and gotten one - as they are sold out at MF.
There are many that complained that this Talman wasn't like the earlier ones and that they had "sold out" to the Fender sound and were not doing the name justice.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I remember them being popular with the more hardcore, post-punk style musicians. These new ones are definately a completely different animal, much more suited to my style. There appears to be two versions, a two pickup model and the Strat version. both sound good but the Strat version is something else. If I saw one I'd try it out.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
The original versions were really popular in the punk scene.... and that's a lot of who panned the new version

Yeah, the 2 pickup version (1702) is their "Tele" sound. The 1730 series is more a Strat sound. It has the SD Five-Two pickups in it.
Then you have the 1803 with the SD Alnico II Pro/Vintage Flat/Alnico II Pro PU's.
I'm really kind kicking myself for not grabbing one.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
She tortures me. Coming out of the GC today she goes "Well, you could have ordered that one you wanted".
:censored: