Thoughts on a Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
https://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0147502?siid=189173

I'm nearly ready to hit the buy button, went earlier today and checked them out in person and can honestly say it feels better than my Epi LP. I like the fact that it can give you the Strat sounds along with a Tele for one but the neck shape and feel had me. I bolded some points that I like the most about it below.

Specs:

Body:
- BODY MATERIAL: Alder
- BODY FINISH: Gloss Polyester
- BODY SHAPE: Telecaster(R)

Neck:
- NECK MATERIAL: Maple
- NECK FINISH: Satin Polyurethane
- NECK SHAPE: Modern "C"
- SCALE LENGTH: 25.5" (648 mm)
- FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Maple
- FINGERBOARD RADIUS: 12" (305 mm)
- NUMBER OF FRETS: 22
- FRET SIZE: Narrow Tall
- NUT MATERIAL: Synthetic Bone
- NUT WIDTH: 1.650" (42 mm)
- POSITION INLAYS: Black Pearloid Dots on Maple, White Pearloid Dots on Rosewood
- TRUSS ROD: Standard
- TRUSS ROD NUT: 3/16" Hex Adjustment

Electronics:
- BRIDGE PICKUP: Vintage Noiseless(TM) Single-Coil Telecaster
- MIDDLE PICKUP: Vintage Noiseless(TM) Single-Coil Strat
- NECK PICKUP: Vintage Noiseless(TM) Single-Coil Telecaster
- CONTROLS: Master Volume, Master Tone
- SWITCHING: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
- CONFIGURATION: SSS

Hardware:
- BRIDGE: 6-Saddle Standard Strings-Through-Body Tele with Block Saddles
- HARDWARE FINISH: Nickel/Chrome
- TUNING MACHINES: Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking with Vintage Style Button
- PICKGUARD: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- CONTROL KNOBS: Knurled Flat-Top
- SWITCH TIP: Black
- NECK PLATE: 4-Bolt Asymmetrical

STRINGS: Fender(R) USA, NPS, (.009-.042 Gauges)

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
I'm more in the line of if I want a Strat sound, I'll grab a Strat. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, and I'm not a fan of trying to make a guitar with it's own "sound" be more like some other guitar....
Now, having said that, Sweetwater has a MUCH better financing plan on that same guitar if you are looking to finance. 48 months interest free makes the monthly payment $17 minimum (you can always pay more to get it paid off quicker).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleDNM2CS

They also have the Elite Telecaster in the same basic format
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleNashACB
It is a "tad" bit more at $1999.00 ($42 a month on their special financing that ends 04/02/2018).
This one has a C -> D neck profile like was discussed earlier.

• Body Type:Solidbody
  • Body Shape:Telecaster
  • Left-/Right-handed:Right-handed
  • Number of Strings:6
  • Body Material:Ash
  • Body Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
  • Color:Antique Cherry Burst
  • Neck Material:Maple
  • Neck Shape:Modern C to D, compound
  • Radius:9.5"-14" compound
  • Fingerboard Material:Maple
  • Fingerboard Inlay:Black Dots
  • Number of Frets:22, Medium Jumbo
  • Scale Length:25.5"
  • Nut Width:1.685"
  • Nut Material:Bone
  • Bridge/Tailpiece:6-saddle String-thru-body Hardtail with Block Saddles
  • Tuners:Deluxe Locking Cast/Sealed
  • Neck Pickup:Pure Vintage '64 Gray-bottom Single-coil
  • Middle Pickup:Pure Vintage '64 Gray-bottom Single-coil
  • Bridge Pickup:Shawbucker Humbucker
  • Controls:1 x volume, 1 x tone, 5-way blade pickup switch
  • Strings:Fender USA, NPS, .009-.042
  • Case Included:Elite Molded Hardshell Case

Last edited:

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I don't want just the Strat sound, love the Tele sound and actually after messing around today it feels much more natural in my hands than anything I've tried. As for the Elite, of course I would love to have that but I'm going to hold off as I can't justify that cost right lol...

Sweetwater I would have to open another credit account, I don't need another one :p - The others are 0% for 12 month payments so can't really beat that either. ;)

zappaDPJ

Staff member
A lot of people like the Nashville Tele but I can't say I'm a fan. The necks (on the 2016 model) are really nice, very flat, very wide (a bit too wide for me if I'm honest but very comfortable to play). The cutaway on the heal is likely to be popular addition as are the locking tuners although I've never come across a Telecaster with tuning issues. Mine are so stable they don't get touched for the entirety of a gig once they have been tuned.

What I don't like is the sound. For a guitar that offers so many tone combinations it seems hard to find a tone I'd want to use. I'm not sure if it's the price point, the pickups, the wiring or what but they really don't sound that good to me.

If you find that particular neck comfortable you might want to try some of the mid-range Ibanez RG models.

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
For a lower priced Tele, I was really impressed with the Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster I caught at GC on sale. Musicians Friends also carries it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Special-Edition-Deluxe-Ash-Telecaster.gc

I got it for $599 when they had it on sale. One thing I liked about it was the fact that the controls are flipped so your volume control is more easily controlled for use. It also ss routed for a neck humbucker if you you wanted to upgrade it to a budget Micawber (check out Keith Richards 50 Telecaster).

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
A lot of people like the Nashville Tele but I can't say I'm a fan. The necks (on the 2016 model) are really nice, very flat, very wide (a bit too wide for me if I'm honest but very comfortable to play). The cutaway on the heal is likely to be popular addition as are the locking tuners although I've never come across a Telecaster with tuning issues. Mine are so stable they don't get touched for the entirety of a gig once they have been tuned.

What I don't like is the sound. For a guitar that offers so many tone combinations it seems hard to find a tone I'd want to use. I'm not sure if it's the price point, the pickups, the wiring or what but they really don't sound that good to me.

If you find that particular neck comfortable you might want to try some of the mid-range Ibanez RG models.
Only way I could tell a difference was in the middle position of the switch, since it was then on the middle pickup and not the neck/bridge like a normal Tele. Might just be my inexperience but I liked the tones. :)

One thing I liked about it was the fact that the controls are flipped so your volume control is more easily controlled for use.
You can do that with any tele, take the plate off, rotate the switch 180 on the plate then turn the plate to the back. ;)

zappaDPJ

Staff member
For a lower priced Tele, I was really impressed with the Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster I caught at GC on sale. Musicians Friends also carries it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Special-Edition-Deluxe-Ash-Telecaster.gc

I got it for $599 when they had it on sale. One thing I liked about it was the fact that the controls are flipped so your volume control is more easily controlled for use. It also has routed for a neck humbucker if you you wanted to upgrade it to a budget Micawber (check out Keith Richards 50 Telecaster).

That's what a Telecaster should sound like. It carries so much more weight than the Nashville which sounds very thin in comparison.

I've done a bit of research and apparently the Nashville sounds a whole lot better if you remove the middle pickup like this...

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
You can do that with any tele, take the plate off, rotate the switch 180 on the plate then turn the plate to the back. ;)
Yeah, but with this one you don't have to... sometimes there is some woodwork that you have to do. Like with this one, if you want to reverse it to original format you have to grab a Dremel!

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I've done a bit of research and apparently the Nashville sounds a whole lot better if you remove the middle pickup like this...
Okay but what about his description? He merely removes it for the middle position because he prefers that sound.

Stock Fender Nashville Telecaster, made in Mexico. I took the middle pickup out because I like the middle sound, and I wanted a 52 RI look! Everything else is stock - get one of these they're excellent!
The pickups are the same, well aside from them being the Vintage Noiseless versions. These videos it is really hard to say what sounds best, most have pedals in front anyhow so it isn't what you would hear from it straight to a amp.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I know I'm sounding like I am trying to justify my want/need :p - I just really enjoyed that thing today.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Okay but what about his description? He merely removes it for the middle position because he prefers that sound.
It's a good question that I can't answer because I don't know how those pickups are wired or what he's done to remove the middle pickup. All I can tell you is it's improved the sound compared to what I can hear on half a dozen other Mexican Nashville Tele videos. It's possible that he's simply no longer using a pickup that everyone chose to use in their demos but it's more likely he's has change the phasing and/or polarity.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player

Also just to note, that Tele he is playing I found an older video before he removed that pickup, 2014 model I assume which did not have the same pickups. They had Tex-Mex (I guess its called).

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Also just to note, that Tele he is playing I found an older video before he removed that pickup, 2014 model I assume which did not have the same pickups. They had Tex-Mex (I guess its called).
That could account for it. Tex-Mex pickups are over-wound and warm.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I suppose this could always be a good base for a nice build and change the pickups if I ever wanted, eliminate the middle one or whatever. The Alder body and the stain finish neck should be a good base for any customizations down the road.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I suppose this could always be a good base for a nice build and change the pickups if I ever wanted, eliminate the middle one or whatever. The Alder body and the stain finish neck should be a good base for any customizations down the road.
You should obviously buy what suits you, not what suits me. I use Telecasters most of the time so I've had a fair bit of experience with them but my requirements are very different from what people generally want from one. I get a lot of positive feedback from other musicians in relation to my tone I but that changes to an instant 'WTF' if I let anyone play one.

My guitars were custom made with a composite, deep U neck (see below) and over-wound custom shop Nocaster pickups. Both pickups together give a very full-on sound with a fair bit of grunt while still retaining the bell-like chime of a traditional Tele. They also sustain forever and because the necks are so thick and stable the action is pretty much as low as you can go, leaving just enough room for the strings to move but without a hint of fret buzz.

If the necks on the Nashville feel comfortable then that's what's important, especially for a learning instrument. I know that they generally leave the factory with a reasonable setup although I would still recommend having any learner guitar professionally setup at some point. As you say the sound can be changed at a later date if necessary.

guitar-neck-contours.jpg

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Got the Nashville Tele and an Orange 35RT amp today, I’m loving how it sounds and the feel of the neck is so much better to me than the Epi LP. Glad I finally hit that button lol...

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
That's what the guy where I put my Tele on consignment said.... most of the people like the Tele's because of the necks, especially when compared to a Les Paul. Gotta take a few of my higher end toys over to one of the music stores in Tyler and see what we can work out. Wife decided she wanted to get back into camping as well as the astronomy - so time to thin the heard out.