What was your first guitar?

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Fender T-Bucket 300CE

New to the guitar scene but a music fan for life and have always wanted to learn but I guess the bug never really hit me until a few months ago. I don't think the bug is leaving anytime soon either! Since getting my guitar I've played nearly everyday, the only ones I haven’t were directly after I had some health issues, and can't hardly put it down once I start playing. :)

Last edited:

Tracy Perry

Staff member
Guitar Player
First one - Martin OM-28
Second one - Martin 00-17SE
Third one - Gibson Les Paul Standard

All these were within about 2 weeks of each other. ;)
I'm just learning (been taking lessons now for about 3 months). Got my original exposure back in 6th grade from one of my science teachers (Mr. Ellis) that also was a guitar player at a church and gave guitar lessons.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
The first guitar I picked up and played was something dreadful we had floating around the family home. I believe it was a 1940s Gibson L-4 acoustic, identical to the one below.

1940-Gibson-L-4-Original-Natural-Hollowbody-Acoustic-Archtop-Guitar-WOHSC-USA-262695454589.jpg

It had a horribly warped and twisted neck making it almost impossible to play but I spent the best part of my early life trying. I've no idea what happened to it which is a shame because I'm sure the neck problem could have been resolved by a decent luthier.

I bought my first guitar when I was 12, working my backside off selling newspapers from a station platform everyday before school and at weekends for around 2 years to earn enough to pay for it. What I got was a fantastic, used 1960 Telecaster with a slab rosewood fingerboard (similar to the guitar pictured below) which cost me £80(GBP).

1-1960Telecaster-sn51842-3878.jpg

Having learned to play on something awful for so many year the telecaster was a revelation. Within a year of buying it I was playing for pay and couple of years after that I got my first record contract.

At that point I made a horrendous mistake and traded the Telecaster that had served me so well for a dreadful secondhand early 70's Les Paul Black Beauty, 3 Pickups with Bigsby similar to the one below. It didn't take long to realise that using the Bigsby knocked the guitar instantly out of tune plus it had a wiring issue that caused it to go quiet at the most inappropropriate moments. I swapped that for an equally poor early 70's sunburst Stratocaster with a 3 bolt micro-tilt neck.

Luckily all the guitars I've bought since then have been instruments I've not wanted to part with.

1441923340-P1200278+(Large).JPG-original.jpg

Mick

Founding Member
First guitar was a early Fender Squier about twenty years ago, actually liked that Guitar but sold it and the rest of my gear to fund family things. Now starting to build up my gear again.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
but sold it and the rest of my gear to fund family things
I hear that, sold all my car stuff around 9 years ago to do the same though I'm not quite sure where the money went from all that..lol

This new venture for me into guitars is filling a void but it's something I have always wanted to do and learn.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
First guitar was a early Fender Squier about twenty years ago, actually liked that Guitar but sold it and the rest of my gear to fund family things. Now starting to build up my gear again.
My number one guitar for gigging is a very early (10th January 1982) Fender Squier, literally one of the first off the production line. It's actually a better instrument than all my Fender Custom Shop Strats.

strat1_6425.jpg

strat2_3665.jpg

Mick

Founding Member
Nice looking guitar. I believe mine was a Korean made one, not Japanese, was actually still nicely made though, and it played very well for my needs. ;)

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Nice looking guitar. I believe mine was a Korean made one, not Japanese, was actually still nicely made though, and it played very well for my needs. ;)
I have a budget priced, made in Indonesia Ibanez RG Premium which has the most amazing neck on it, as good if not better than anything else I own. The quality of workmanship on some of these far eastern made instruments is astounding.