XenForo 2.0?

zappaDPJ

Staff member
I've been using xF2.0 here, there (on a one million+ test site) and elsewhere for some while now and I have to say the majority of people I spoken with at length are completely underwhelmed by it and I have to agree with them. I had plans to start a new forum on it, using a collection of databases I own from defunct gaming sites. I also had plans to upgrade a few other sites I own or manage but I now find myself actively looking at other options.

One of the problems is xenForo is so far behind in terms of functionality I don't see it catching up anytime soon and I don't want (and can't do it as far as clients are concerned) to have to rely on a multitude of add-ons just to get some basic functionality.

Stuff like predictive search, the ability to strip out the majority of unused editor functions (essential for mobile use), push notification, user activity streams, admin level drag and drop page creation etc. etc. should all be there by default.

On a more superficial level the default theme doesn't do it any favors. I can see it's generally more amenable to styling but visually it's an amateur design.

And one final gripe, Firefox's spilling chucker only works if you backtrack and deliberately misspell a word which is driving me crazy.

So what do you think?

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Since XF 1.0 it has been underwhelming to many but as the saying goes what one person needs another doesn’t.

Add-ons are not a bad thing and XF gives a great platform to build on, the issue is finding developers that are good at what they do and are available to do it.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
Add-ons are not a bad thing and XF gives a great platform to build on, the issue is finding developers that are good at what they do and are available to do it.
The problem with add-ons is I have to pay to have them developed and I've relied completely on one developer for nearly 20 years which wasn't a problem until... you can guess what's coming... he retired.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Funnily enough so do I on a couple of forums although they are heavily modified. I think 'glacial' sums up the speed of progress there :D
See that’s why I like XF because the rate in which things are going. Now that 2.0 is nearly here things will really start to mesh at a good pace.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
See that’s why I like XF because the rate in which things are going. Now that 2.0 is nearly here things will really start to mesh at a good pace.
I really hope so. I'm leaning towards Invision (or whatever they are called now) but I don't like their financial model or lack of transparency. I do however like where their software is heading which is probably two years ahead of xenForo.

The thing that really irks me is I've been running on-line and off-line discussion forums fairly successfully for about 35 years and I know what people want. I know categorically that you have to keep up with the pace of information technology or face the consequences. Older generation (probably me) generally think that the younger generation want everything on a plate. Well of course they do and why shouldn't they, it's called progress. Contrary to popular belief they are not lazy, they know that we live in an age where information is (or should be) just a moment away.

Consider this, it used to be if my generation wanted information we went to a library (a building full of papery things covered in words). Would we do that now? Of course not, what a waste of valuable time that would be. In the same way the current generation won't waste time fighting with the awful user interfaces they encounter with when viewing forums on a smart phone. This summed the whole thing up for me in two sentences...

Me: 'I see you look at forums a lot, why don't you register and post there?'
Daughter: 'Effort'

She's not stupid, at 22 she's an almost qualified actuary but she won't waste time jumping all the hurdles necessary to register and post on forum platforms.

This was going to be a longer rant but I've just realised I'm supposed to be working so I'd better get back to it :eek:

Last edited:

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
Would we do that now?
We still take our kids ( 7 & 8 years old) frequently to get books.

IPS, well I can't get past the attitudes and elitism feel of the place. If you choose IPS you'll quickly realize it. We wanted to convert our design site to use IPS and Nexus but took weeks for a couple, and I mean a couple, questions to get answered. No thanks...Only one there I care to converse with is Ryan.

zappaDPJ

Staff member
We still take our kids ( 7 & 8 years old) frequently to get books.
I very glad to hear that, in the U.K. it's certainly not the norm anymore. In fact a lot of our libraries are closing down.

I certainly share your concerns about IPS but I do like their software so I'm going to have some difficult choices to make.

Mick

Founding Member
Funnily enough so do I on a couple of forums although they are heavily modified. I think 'glacial' sums up the speed of progress there :D
Tis a bit old hat, but I like it actually. I took over the Tinyportal project tinyportal.net a couple of years ago, although things have slowed down on that atm, waiting for 2.1 to go gold.

Steve

Staff member
Guitar Player
I'm stuck hard core into XenBase 2.0 so time on here will be somewhat limited (which it already has been anyhow lol).